Phew, this year has not started off with a bang like I thought it would. Everything that could go wrong has gone wrong. I am slowly picking up the pieces but it has depleted all of my energy. However, I am not a pessimist so I will pick myself up and become the optimist I am. If like me, you are having a tough start to the year, remember nothing is permanent. As Maya Angelou says “BUT STILL, LIKE AIR, I’LL RISE”. That’s exactly what I intend on doing. So forgive me if I haven’t been posting as often. But that will soon change as I am determined to reach my goals this year. So when you having a tough time there’s nothing like some comfort food, exactly like this Spicy Chicken and Mushroom Casserole.
I made this Spicy Chicken and Mushroom Casserole because I really didn’t have a clue as to what to cook. The thought of making a few different things to create a meal did not appeal to me. So I thought I should rather pop it all into one dish and save myself the trouble. So here we have it, mashed potatoes, mushroom sauce and a spicy chicken, all in one. How much easier can it get.
My friends often visit me and if I have a meal ready I always get them to taste. I did give my friend some of this casserole to taste so I can have her honest opinion and she thought it was amazing. I absolutely loved it, I think it’s more because I love potatoes so much. Anything that consists of potatoes makes me happy. Luckily my hips are still behaving…haha!
Today I am not going to lie and say this is one of the easiest dishes. It does require a little bit of work but not too much, that I promise. It took about 30 minutes to cook this Spicy Chicken and Mushroom Casserole so it’s not too bad. You can also prep everything in advance and bake in the oven when you are ready to serve.
If you are feeling rather indulgent you can add some cheese of your choice. It will definitely add more yumminess to this casserole. This dish has everything you need but a fresh green salad adds a nice fresh element when serving.
Hope you all have a great day!
More Chicken Recipes:
Spicy Chicken and Mushroom Casserole
- 4 large chicken breasts cut in halves
- 1 tspn paprika
- 1 tspn cumin
- 1 tspn chilli powder
- 1&1/2 tspn ginger/garlic paste
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 250 gram mushroom
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1&1/2 tbsp cornflour
- 2 cups milk
- 4 sprigs thyme
- 6 medium potatoes
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1/4 cup cream or milk
- Grated cheese of your choice (optional)
- Marinate the chicken with all the cumin, paprika, chilli powder, ginger/garlic paste, olive oil and salt. Brown the chicken on medium to high heat. Should take about a minute on each side. It doesn't have to be fully cooked through. Cover with foil and set aside
- Peel the potatoes and cut into cubes. Cover with cold water, season with salt and boil until potatoes are tender and soft, but not mushy. Drain water. Place back on low heat for a minute until all the moisture dries up
- Mash the potatoes using a potato masher. Add the cream. Season with more salt if required. Add pepper. Mix until light and fluffy
- Heat the butter in a pan. Add the mushrooms and garlic and sauté until all the liquid dries up and mushroom is slightly brown.
- Mix the cornflour with milk and add to the mushrooms. Mix at regular intervals until sauce thickens. Season with salt and pepper. Add the thyme leaves. Set aside
- Spread the mashed potatoes at the bottom of an ovenproof dish.
- Place the chicken on top of the mashed potatoes
- Spread the mushroom sauce over. Sprinkle some cheese if you wish
- Bake at 180 degrees Celsius for 20 minutes or until chicken is cooked through
- Serve hot with a green salad