Every once in while we love having a braai, the kids love it. I don’t love it as much because I think it’s too much work, my kitchen is always a total mess on “braai days”, not to mention the cleaning up after. However, on a positive note everything braaied is always delicious. I don’t think my kids will mind having a braai everyday, if they had their way. We have the perfect weather for a braai in Johannesburg, skies are blue, no wind and it’s a scorcher, it’s why this light Moroccan Fish Skewers with Saffron went down a treat.
Braais brings back memories of the good times we used to have as a family at my middle sister’s home in Durban, we spent lots of time at her beautiful home and she was quite the entertainer. I do miss those days and we will never get it back as she is now living in Australia and we see each other not as often as we would like. I am pretty close to my sister, we could be twins as we are a year apart in terms of age. We have a close bond and when she was still in SA we always shopped for each other, I always called her if I wanted an opinion on something, well I still do, we borrowed each others clothes and if I was upset with her I was sure to give her an earful too. I am the sister with the “big mouth”, I have a kind heart and I love helping people but I will not stand for injustice either, if it’s wrong its wrong and I will let you know how I feel. I have a reputation for speaking my mind, sometimes I get into trouble for it but I would rather be real that to pretend to be something I’m not. So if you are a part of my life you will always know where you stand with me. Likewise if I am wrong I can accept that. If it’s anything I appreciate in life it’s good, kind people with a sincere, caring heart and I think I’m at an age where I can read fake people pretty well.
Back to the braai, today I got hubby to help me braai these Moroccan FIsh Skewers with Saffron, they taste amazing when made on the braai,what can be more amazing than chargrilled fish. If you don’t feel like getting a braai going you can grill these on the stovetop using a griddle pan.This fish is spicy and full flavoured, you will definitely be asking for more. This is a perfect summer meal, you can add some red onion, tomatoes and slices of pepper to your skewers, I added tomatoes and onion. It’s best to use a firm white fish as fish does crumble quite easuly on the braai. It takes about 15 minutes to cook, I grease a piece of foil with some oil and I place that on the braai grill and then add my fish, I find it easier to cook it this way, I’ve had disasters placing it straight on the grill so I don’t take any chances. Fish marinated in any acidic marinade shoud only be marinated for about half an hour and not more, the acid will “cook” the fish and your fish must be refrigerated, do not allow it to stand at room temperature.
Moroccan Fish Skewers with Saffron
- 500 gram firm white fish I used Kingklip
- juice of 1 lemon + extra for serving
- 1 tspn garlic minced
- pinch of saffron
- 1/4 cup/60ml light olive oil + extra for greasing
- 1/4 cup coriander leaves
- 1 tspn table salt
- 2 tspn chilli flakes
- 1 small red onion + 1 if you are using them in the skewers
- 1 tspn ground coriander seeds
- 1 tspn paprika
- cherry tomatoes optional
- To make the marinade add the lemon juice, garlic, saffron, olive oil, coriander leaves, salt, chilli flakes, red onion, paprika and ground coriander to a blender. Blend into a smooth paste. You can add a few drops of water just to loosen the ingredients when blending, only if required.
- Cut the fish into cubes., about 3 x 3 cm. Add the marinade to the fish and mix it into the fish> Refrigerate for half an hour
- Soak skewers in some water for about 30 minutes, this will help prevent it from burning on the grill
- Thread the fish into the skewers. If you are using peppers, onion and tomatoes you can add them in between the fish
- Grill on a hot braai or in a griddle pan, on the stovetop on medium-high heat. I grease a piece of foil with some oil, place it on the braai grill and then I cook my skewers on the foil. You can place it straight on the grill if you are comfortable with that. Serve hot with a drizzle of lemon juice and a fresh salad