Summer calls for light, summery dishes with minimal effort and this dish is just that, Lemon Garlic Chicken. We have experienced some unusually hot days and I promise it’s on days like these you would rather let your family go starving. But being a mum I will go on a guilt trip if I don’t feed my family. I therefore settled on cooking something light, delicious and easy. And oh yes it is healthy too so that’s an added bonus.
I am trying to eat healthy, ,most days I win. Chicken is so versatile, there are endless healthy dishes you can make with it. It’s why I always have chicken breasts in my freezer. I also found these beautiful rainbow carrots at the grocery store and I just loved the colours. I had to buy it because it just looked so pretty but I had no idea what I would cook with it at the time.
Seeing I had the carrots and some baby potatoes, Lemon Garlic Chicken seemed like the obvious choice. It’s all made in one dish, you pop everything into it and into the oven it goes. You only have to check it after an hour, blissful cooking. I added 8 garlic cloves, the garlic cloves were about medium size. If you are using bigger garlic cloves you can use a little less but the more garlic the better. You will see that I love throwing in my herbs, it just adds a whole lot of flavour that way. It’s easy to pick them out when serving. But you can do it your way.
From my experience with cooking chicken breasts you cook it on a low heat for a long time or you flash fry them. It’s the only way to get succulent, tender chicken. I cooked this dish for about an hour and a half, mostly because the potatoes needed to cook for a while until it was soft. This resulted in the most tender chicken breasts. If you love Chicken with a little spice then you may want to try Creamy Sundried Tomato Chicken
Lemon, Garlic Chicken
- 500 gram chicken breasts
- 8 sprigs thyme
- few sprigs parsley
- 200 gram rainbow carrots
- 8 baby potatoes you can add more if you wish or don't add them at all
- 1 tspn garlic and herb seasoning I used Ina Parmaan
- juice of 1 lemon
- 8-10 small to medium garlic cloves or 6 large cloves
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees celcius
- Scrub the carrots and potatoes and set aside. Add a few drops of olive oil to a pan and brown the chicken breasts for a few seconds on both sides. Add the chicken breasts, carrots and potatoes to an ovenproof dish. Season with salt and pepper. Drizzle a generous amount of olive oil and then sprinkle in the herbs. Pour the lemon juice over.
- Cover the dish with foil and bake until chicken is moist and tender and potatoes and carrots are cooked
- Cut up the chicken and serve with the veggies. Drizzle the remaining juices over and serve