There was a time in my life where I wouldn’t attempt anything that called for yeast, I don’t know why I felt intimidated by yeast. However, when I got back into the kitchen on a more regular basis I started taking more risks and I remember the first time I tried using yeast was in my naan bread and it turned out great.,
I used a similar recipe to the one I’m now sharing for the Homemade Pizza Dough. This dough is so amazing, you can use it for your naan bread, for pizzas and I am going to try using it to make my all time favourite Cinnamon Buns very soon, I will share it with you if it turns out perfect. If you want a crispy pizza crust you can use bread flour or cake wheat flour for a softer crust. You can get at least 3 large thin base from this dough.
I know I’m one of very few that still loves Carbs, I’m not a huge pizza fan but I don’t mind a slice or two on the odd occasion. My husband on the other hand, if he wasn’t so strict about his diet, could possibly eat pizza everyday.
My kids are the Magherita fans, I made them one using my delicious dough, I drizzled some extra virgin olive oil and sprinkled some dried oreganum over the cheese to make it extra yummy, I had a little taste and it was heaven. I know everybody doesn’t have the time to cook everything from scratch and I do cheat at times but nothing beats homemade I also used my homemade Pizza sauce
If you love cooking, keep trying, not everything will be perfect all the time but as you cook you learn and you improve with every new dish. I didn’t go to cooking school or have a mentor that taught me how to cook or bake, I learnt the basics of Indian food from my mum but that was all. I am not the best cook on earth and I do make mistakes and have flops in the kitchen and I have seen nastiness on food groups but I am passionate about cooking and learning and growing so nothing is going to stop me from improving. I have learnt to create my own recipes and experiment with flavours and yes I will not be Heston Blumenthal or a Michelin star chef but I’m not allowing my mistakes to kill my passion.
If I can make a dough and make bread so can you, so do give this pizza dough a bash.
Homemade Pizza Dough
- 2 cups/500ml white bread flour or cake wheat flour You may need a little extra
- 1 tsp instant yeast
- 1 tspn granulated sugar
- 1/4 tspn salt
- 1/4 tsp dried Italian herbs
- 1 cup/250ml lukewarm water
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Add the dry ingredients, flour, sugar, salt, herbs, yeast to a stand mixer and mix well.
- Slowly add in the water and olive oil and mix until the dough comes together. Knead for 6-8 minutes. You can also knead by hand, for about 10 minutes.
- Grease a bowl with oil and rub some oil on the dough and place inside the bowl. Cover with cling wrap and allow it to rest for one hour, in a warm place
- Divide the dough into 3 equal pieces. Cover with a clean kitchen towel and allow it to rest for a further 10 minutes. Roll out and add the sauce and filling of your choice