I first discovered this delicious dessert called Eton Mess when I watched a cooking show on TV. It looked so delectable and yet so easy I had to give it a try. It has since become a firm favourite in our home. It is a British dessert which was apparently served at Eton College’s prize-giving picnic, so glad I stumbled upon this recipe.
Eton Mess, to me, is almost a comforting dessert, everything literally gets dumped into one bowl and yet turns out heavenly. Its all mixed together and becomes one big delicious mess. Just the way I like it. If you want to show off your “cheffy” side you can layer the three ingredients. I haven’t yet found another dessert this simple and delicious. This one has just 3 ingredients, strawberries, cream and meringues. Making my own meringues is a mission so I settle for store bought ones. I actually found some pink ones made with strawberry juice this time.
When I am in the mood to get all fancy I use different fruit or make a berry coulis to drizzle over my Easy Eton Mess Desert. But I actually prefer it this way, no fancy frills. You can also use any berry, mango or even passion fruit. I have also seen recipes with some pistachios sprinkled over for that extra crunch.
Due to the simplicity of this dessert you can make it any day of the week. If you are making it for guests you can prep the ingredients in advance and put all together when serving. I love the different textures in this dessert, the airy, melt-in-your mouth texture of the meringues, the richness of the cream and the little crunch from the strawberries.
I did not add any sugar to my dessert. The meringues are sweet enough and I prefer not to add sugar. However, you can add some castor sugar when whipping your cream if you prefer a sweeter version.
Easy Eton Mess Dessert
- 100g meringues you can use any meringue as it gets broken up
- 1 cup/250ml fresh cream whipped
- 250g strawberries or mixed berries
- Whip the fresh cream until soft peaks form. Be careful not to overmix
- Chop up the strawberries.
- Break the meringues into pieces, you can keep some whole to decorate if your prefer.
- Place all the ingredients in a large bowl and gently fold them. Serve immediately. You can decorate them with more strawberries and meringue.