Zucchini or Baby Marrow as we call it here in SA is one of those versatile veggies. You can bake a cake with it, pretend it’s spaghetti..haha, turn it into crispy fries. Sweet, sour, savoury…you can have it anyway you want it. But you’ve got to love these Crispy Egg-Free Zucchini Fritters. They are super delicious and my family loves them.
You can serve these Crispy Egg-Free Zucchini Fritters with some sour cream and it tastes so good. You will definitely want more. These fritters are so full of flavour that I didn’t need to add anything to the sour cream. You don’t have to serve it with sour cream but I just think it’s so much more yum dipped in that creamy dip.
I don’t do bland food so I had to ensure these zucchini fritters were anything but bland. And I think they passed the test. It was perfectly crisp on the outside and soft on the inside. I added some lemon juice and lemon zest to the batter as it adds a lovely freshness to these Crispy Zucchini Fritters.
The parmesan adds a lovely flavour and also adds to the crispness of the fritters. You also have to wring out all the water from the zucchini after they are grated, you don’t want soggy fritters. Although I did not add eggs to my batter you can add eggs if you wish, however we did not miss the eggs. It is a meat-free/egg-free day for us so I couldn’t add it anyway. Please do try these delicious fritters and let me know how it goes.
More Zucchini Recipes:
Crispy Egg-Free Zucchini Fritters
- 350 gram zucchini/baby marrows about 8 small zucchinis, grated
- 1/2 tspn salt
- 1/2 cup cake wheat flour
- 3/4 tspn baking powder
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan
- 1 tspn chilli flakes
- 1 tspn fresh oregano chopped
- 1 large garlic clove minced
- 1/2 lemon zest and juice
- 3 tbsp light olive oil
- Grate the zucchini and place it in a bowl with the salt. Allow it to stand for 5 minutes
- Using your hands or a clean kitchen towel squeeze all the excess liquid out of the zucchini
- In a large bowl add the zucchini, flour, baking powder, chilli flakes, oregano, garlic, zest and juice of half lemon. Add more salt and lemon if required
- Give it a gently mix just so everything is combined
- Heat the oil in a pan on medium heat. Drop an ice-cream scoop of batter in the pan and flatten with a fork or spatula. Fry about 4 at a time
- Cook each fritter for about 2-3 minutes on each side until crisp and brown
- Add more oil if required when frying the remaining batter
- Serve hot with a dollop of sour cream